More frequent severe weather patterns, bigger and better homes containing more contents and finished basements, as well as aging municipal infrastructure, have all contributed to the increase in size and frequency of water damage claims. In 2014, over 3 billion dollars in water damage related claims were paid out by the Canadian insurance industry.
- If your area is susceptible to sewer back-up, make sure your home has a back-flow valve and plugs for drains, toilets and other sewer connections installed.
- If you don’t have a sump pump, install one. If you do have one, test it to make sure it is working.
- Store items in plastic containers at least 12” off the basement floor.
- Keep eavestroughs and downspouts clear of debris and make sure water flow is directed away from the foundation.
- Make sure you lot is properly graded to direct run-off away from the foundation and entranceways.